JIS believes participation in the digital realm is a distinguishing feature of contemporary learning. The use of digital tools to share content ranging from community events to school publications to student work is intended to foster creative expression and collaboration with a wider global learning community. Effective digital sharing promotes engaged learning and celebrates the best of JIS.
As members of the JIS Community, students, parents, faculty, staff and alumni may be digitally recorded in a way that enables them to be visually or personally identifiable. In addition, student and faculty work may be documented and shared in digital form. The following expectations apply with respect to the use of such content. All community members are expected to:
- only share such content when there is a reasonable assumption that the content owner or subjects would approve
- provide proper attribution to original content owner or creator when sharing the work of others
- notify content owners or subjects (Grade 8 to adult) or their parents (Grades EC-7) before content that may personally identify them is shared to a public audience other than via official JIS media; for students in Grades EC- 7, identify any student and/or their school work by first name only without any full name disclosed to reduce the chance they may be personally identified
- not require creation of accounts on sites with age restrictions by students who are underage, asking parents to create the accounts instead
- enable content owners or subjects who are personally identifiable in the content to request the removal of shared content from publicly shared locations and have said content removed whenever possible and within reason.
- not reshare content beyond the audience intended by the original sharer.
- respect copyright in using materials in any context
- respect user choice about account creation for sites or tools other than those that are part of official JIS digital resources
- not share information or promote content that is confidential or damaging to the school, its operations, or to other community members
- notify leadership if content posted online raises concerns about student welfare
Any information we collect is intended to support the JIS mission/vision and to build positive relations with members of our JIS community.
JIS uses secure channels (SSL technology) for transmission of sensitive data via JIS systems online.
As a school, JIS must ensure our network performance is optimum to support learning. We take great pride in our network at JIS, but our bandwidth is not unlimited. When our bandwidth is pushed to maximum capacity, everything on the network slows and this can impede access to sites needed for teaching and learning. Consequently, we may occasionally restrict access to certain internet services and websites during the academic day. These sites have not been banned from campus as they are still accessible before 7:30 am and after 2:30 pm or through one's personal network device(s). Also, faculty and students can request temporary access should they need access for academic purposes during the school hours.
Agreed to as part of admissions process by Parents and Employment by Faculty/Staff: